Whose memory? Whose remembrance? – Shaping cultures of remembrance in Germany and Turkey
Are you wondering how collective cultures of remembrance can be strengthened? Are you interested in interdisciplinary and creative forms of memory education? Would you like to explore different (im)possibilities of memorialisation within an international exchange programme?
The Association of Friends and Sponsors of Work and Study Visits in Africa, Asia and Latin America (ASA-FF), Hakikat Adalet Hafıza Merkezi (HAH) and the Heinrich Böll Foundation Turkey (hbs) are looking for people who would like to participate in the international project “Whose memory? Whose remembrance? – Shaping cultures of remembrance in Germany and Turkey”.
You can apply for the project from 1 December 2022 to 20 January 2023 under this link: https://asa.engagement-global.de/projekt-details.html?id=1411&tp=96&dr=&pr=&ct=&co=&lg=&bs=&jt=&srch=Projektsuche. Wir würden uns über deine Bewerbung sehr freuen!
What can you expect?
During the project, you will be involved in researching and strengthening German, Turkish and German-Turkish cultures of remembrance: Who is remembered? Who commemorates? Whose memories have a place? You will get to know different practices of remembrance and learn how to build sustainable networks between actors in the politics of memory.
The project will be carried out in two phases. In a project phase from 15 April to 15 July 2023 in Chemnitz, you will gain insights into the work of the projects “Offener Prozess” and “re:member the future” of the association ASA-FF. The projects deal with coming to terms with the NSU complex in Saxony and the creation of a memorial in Chemnitz to the victims and survivors of the NSU. The focus is on strengthening the perspective of those affected and making right-wing and racist continuities in Germany visible.
In the second project phase from 1 September to 1 December 2023 in Istanbul, you will get to know the work of the Hakikat Adalet Hafıza Merkezi (HAH) Centre, which advocates for an appropriate institutional and societal response to unresolved serious human rights violations in Turkey. In doing so, HAH supports survivors in their quest for justice and disseminates their narratives outside the official discourse in Turkey. It offers educational programmes in memory and peace studies that go beyond the state structures.
You can learn more about the individual projects here:
ASA-FF, Offener Prozess, re:member the future, Hakikat Adalet Hafıza Merkezi and Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung.
Who can apply?
The programme is open to anyone in Germany who:
- ideally has experience with remembrance politics, with human rights work and/or in political/racism-critical educational work;
- has knowledge of Turkish politics and history and/or the NSU complex or has experience in artistic-creative processes;
- has experience in organising events;
- is confident to work in a delicate political environment;
- has a good command of English and, ideally, Turkish;
- is between 21 and 30 years old;
- is enrolled in a degree programme at a university or technical college;
- is enrolled in a degree programme at a university or technical college (not yet completed) OR has completed a bachelor’s degree within the last 18 months OR has completed vocational training;
- is available and willing to participate in both phases of the project full-time and without restrictions (i.e. residence at the project location or willingness to relocate for the respective project phase).
What we offer
For the project phase in Germany, participants from Germany will receive a monthly stipend of 752 euros for living expenses and accommodation.
For the project phase in Turkey, participants from Germany will receive a stipend that includes a travel allowance of 800 euros and a living allowance of 827 euros per month. In addition, participants are covered by health, liability and accident insurance.
In addition, there will be three online or on-site seminars in Germany on weekdays within the first project phase (between 15 April and 15 July 2023), the travel costs of which will also be covered.
We look forward to receiving your application!